A detailed set of reasons for why we've chosen Minecraft for our decentralized metaverse platform.
An NFT World showcasing an example of what's possible.
Effective July 20th, 2022 - NFT Worlds is no longer building on top of Minecraft. Instead, we're developing our own game & metaverse platform. Please join on Discord to stay up to date and get the latest info.
It’s incredibly important to move fast and deliver when developing new platforms. Gaming platforms and NFTs are no exception.
When we started NFT Worlds, we knew that in order to compete in the rapidly expanding NFT metaverse gaming category we’d need to bootstrap our vision using an existing open-source gaming ecosystem to create the thriving community driven world development, community spaces, community created games and interconnected worlds that we envisioned.
We didn’t want to have to “reinvent the wheel” by creating our own unproven game from scratch, while also having to innovate on the NFT integration & decentralized metaverse side of the platform we envisioned. This would take far too long to deliver on.
Having nearly a decade of experience working within the Minecraft open-source ecosystem and seeing everything it's capable of and the vastness of open source tools, mods, and more, we knew it’d be a perfect fit to power the decentralized gaming metaverse of NFT Worlds.
Bootstrapping the NFT Worlds platform with Minecraft at this time gives us the following advantages.
- 1.A familiar set of game controls and ways to interact with worlds that over 100,000,000 players already know how to use.
- 2.Cross-platform support. Giving players access to NFT Worlds through the Minecraft game client on PC, Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo Switch and more thanks to open sourced server bridging systems.
- 4.Full out of the box support for custom game mechanics in worlds, 3D playable and non-playable models, custom texturing, modifiable physics and more without building an entire game engine.
- 5.Immediate access to a thriving ecosystem of open source mods, configurability, server infrastructure and more to rapidly deploy custom massive-multiplayer experiences on top of NFT Worlds self-hostable servers which enable the first truly decentralized metaverse. Worlds will have server addresses looked up through a decentralized world name server that routes world access to the decentrally hosted addresses.
- 6.A simple to use, programmable system that lets world owners create in-world interactions that interface directly with smart contracts and web apis in real time, opening up nearly infinite possibilities for what can be built.
- 7.A thriving ecosystem of building partners that are completely familiar with the Minecraft ecosystem and know how to build fully unique experiences, custom gameplay and more within worlds.
- 8.And more.